(1) Yang J, Antin P, Berx G, Blanpain C, Brabletz T, Bronner M, et al. Author Correction: Guidelines and definitions for research on epithelial–mesenchymal transition (Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, (2020), 21, 6, (341-352), 10.1038/s41580-020-0237-9). Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2021;22(12):834.
(2) Ofek S, Wiszniak S, Kagan S, Tondl M, Schwarz Q, Kalcheim C. Notch signaling is a critical initiator of roof plate formation as revealed by the use of RNA profiling of the dorsal neural tube. BMC Biol 2021;19(1).
(3) Kahane N, Kalcheim C. From Bipotent Neuromesodermal Progenitors to Neural-Mesodermal Interactions during Embryonic Development. Int J Mol Sci 2021;22(17).
(4) Rekler D, Kalcheim C. From neural crest to definitive roof plate: The dynamic behavior of the dorsal neural tube. Int J Mol Sci 2021;22(8).
(5) Yang J, Antin P, Berx G, Blanpain C, Brabletz T, Bronner M, et al. Guidelines and definitions for research on epithelial–mesenchymal transition. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2020;21(6):341-352.
(6) Kahane N, Kalcheim C. Neural tube development depends on notochord-derived sonic hedgehog released into the sclerotome. Development 2020;147(10).
(7) Kahane N, Kalcheim C. Neural tube development depends on notochord-derived sonic hedgehog released into the sclerotome. Development 2020;147(10).
(8) Kumar D, Nitzan E, Kalcheim C. YAP promotes neural crest emigration through interactions with BMP and Wnt activities. Cell Commun Signal 2019;17(1).
(9) Kalcheim C. The Neural Crest: A Remarkable Model System for Studying Development and Disease. Methods Mol Biol 2019;1976:1-19.
(10) Kalcheim C. Neural crest emigration: From start to stop. Genesis 2018;56(6-7).
(11) Kalcheim C, Kumar D. Cell fate decisions during neural crest ontogeny. Int J Dev Biol 2017;61(3-5):195-203.
(12) Nitzan E, Avraham O, Kahane N, Ofek S, Kumar D, Kalcheim C. Dynamics of BMP and Hes1/Hairy1 signaling in the dorsal neural tube underlies the transition from neural crest to definitive roof plate. BMC Biol 2016;14(1).
(13) Kalcheim C. Epithelial–mesenchymal transitions during neural crest and somite development. J Clin Med 2015;5(1).
(14) Carmel MS, Kahane N, Oberman F, Miloslavski R, Sela-Donenfeld D, Kalcheim C, et al. A novel role for VICKZ proteins in maintaining epithelial integrity during embryogenesis. PLoS ONE 2015;10(8).
(15) Applebaum M, Kalcheim C. Mechanisms of myogenic specification and patterning. Results Probl Cell Differ 2015;56:77-98.
(16) Kalcheim C, Storey KG. Neural-mesodermal progenitor interactions in pattern formation: An introduction to the collection. F1000 Res 2014;3.
(17) Applebaum M, Ben-Yair R, Kalcheim C. Segregation of striated and smooth muscle lineages by a Notch-dependent regulatory network. BMC Biol 2014;12(1).
(18) Kalcheim C, Rohrer H. Following the same nerve track toward different cell fates. Science 2014;345(6192):32-33.
(19) Nitzan E, Pfaltzgraff ER, Labosky PA, Kalcheim C. Neural crest and Schwann cell progenitor-derived melanocytes are two spatially segregated populations similarly regulated by Foxd3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2013;110(31):12709-12714.
(20) Shtukmaster S, Schier MC, Huber K, Krispin S, Kalcheim C, Unsicker K. Sympathetic neurons and chromaffin cells share a common progenitor in the neural crest in vivo. Neural Dev 2013;8(1).
(21) Kahane N, Ribes V, Kicheva A, Briscoe J, Kalcheim C. The transition from differentiation to growth during dermomyotome-derived myogenesis depends on temporally restricted hedgehog signaling. Development 2013;140(8):1740-1750.
(22) Unsicker K, Huber K, Schober A, Kalcheim C. Resolved and open issues in chromaffin cell development. Mech Dev 2013;130(6-8):324-329.
(23) Nitzan E, Kalcheim C. Neural crest and somitic mesoderm as paradigms to investigate cell fate decisions during development. Dev Growth Differ 2013;55(1):60-78.
(24) Shoval I, Kalcheim C. Antagonistic activities of Rho and Rac GTPases underlie the transition from neural crest delamination to migration. Dev Dyn 2012;241(7):1155-1168.
(25) Nitzan E, Krispin S, Pfaltzgraff ER, Klar A, Labosky PA, Kalcheim C. A dynamic code of dorsal neural tube genes regulates the segregation between neurogenic and melanogenic neural crest cells. Development 2012;140(11):2269-2279.
(26) Ben-Yair R, Kahane N, Kalcheim C. LGN-dependent orientation of cell divisions in the dermomyotome controls lineage segregation into muscle and dermis. Development (Cambridge) 2011;138(19):4155-4166.
(27) Kalcheim C. Regulation of Trunk Myogenesis by the Neural Crest: A New Facet of Neural Crest-Somite Interactions. Dev Cell 2011;21(2):187-188.
(28) Halperin-Barlev O, Kalcheim C. Sclerotome-derived slit1 drives directional migration and differentiation of robo2-expressing pioneer myoblasts. Development (Cambridge) 2011;138(14):2935-2945.
(29) Krispin S, Nitzan E, Kalcheim C. The dorsal neural tube: A dynamic setting for cell fate decisions. Dev Neurobiol 2010;70(12):796-812.
(30) Krispin S, Nitzan E, Kassem Y, Kalcheim C. Evidence for a dynamic spatiotemporal fate map and early fate restrictions of premigratory avian neural crest. Development (Cambridge) 2010;137(4):585-595.
(31) Ben-Yair R, Kalcheim C. Single cell transfection in chick embryos. J Visualized Exp 2010(43).
(32) Huber K, Kalcheim C, Unsicker K. The development of the chromaffin cell lineage from the neural crest. Auton Neurosc Basic Clin 2009;151(1):10-16.
(33) Huber K, Franke A, Brühl B, Krispin S, Ernsberger U, Schober A, et al. Persistent expression of BMP-4 in embryonic chick adrenal cortical cells and its role in chromaffin cell development. Neural Dev 2008;3(1).
(34) Groysman M, Shoval I, Kalcheim C. A negative modulatory role for rho and rho-associated kinase signaling in delamination of neural crest cells. Neural Dev 2008;3(1).
(35) Kalcheim C, Stanke M, Rohrer H, Jessen K, Mirsky R. Novel Perspectives in Research on the Neural Crest and its Derivatives. Cell Signaling and Growth Factors in Development: From Molecules to Organogenesis; 2008. p. 395-448.
(36) Ben-Yair R, Kalcheim C. Notch and bone morphogenetic protein differentially act on dermomyotome cells to generate endothelium, smooth, and striated muscle. J Cell Biol 2008;180(3):607-618.
(37) Kahane N, Ben-Yair R, Kalcheim C. Medial pioneer fibers pattern the morphogenesis of early myoblasts derived from the lateral somite. Dev Biol 2007;305(2):439-450.
(38) Shoval I, Ludwig A, Kalcheim C. Antagonistic roles of full-length N-cadherin and its soluble BMP cleavage product in neural crest delamination. Development (Cambridge) 2007;134(3):491-501.
(39) Kalcheim C, Kahane N, Cinnamon Y, Ben-Yair R. Mechanisms of lineage segregation in the avian dermomyotome. Anat Embryol 2006;211(SUPPL. 1):S31-S36.
(40) Cinnamon Y, Ben-Yair R, Kalcheim C. Differential effects of N-cadherin-mediated adhesion on the development of myotomal waves. Development (Cambridge) 2006;133(6):1101-1112.
(41) Gut P, Huber K, Lohr J, Brühl B, Oberle S, Treier M, et al. Lack of an adrenal cortex in Sf1 mutant mice is compatible with the generation and differentiation of chromaffin cells. Development (Cambridge) 2005;132(20):4611-4619.
(42) Kalcheim C, Ben-Yair R. Cell rearrangements during development of the somite and its derivatives. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2005;15(4):371-380.
(43) Kalcheim C, Burstyn-Cohen T. Early stages of neural crest ontogeny: Formation and regulation of cell delamination. Int J Dev Biol 2005;49(2-3 SPEC. ISS.):105-116.
(44) Unsicker K, Huber K, Schütz G, Kalcheim C. The chromaffin cell and its development. Neurochem Res 2005;30(6-7):921-925.
(45) Ben-Yair R, Kalcheim C. Lineage analysis of the avian dermomyotome sheet reveals the existence of single cells with both dermal and muscle progenitor fates. Development (Cambridge) 2005;132(4):689-701.
(46) Ernsberger U, Esposito L, Partimo S, Huber K, Franke A, Bixby JL, et al. Expression of neuronal markers suggests heterogeneity of chick sympathoadrenal cells prior to invasion of the adrenal anlagen. Cell Tissue Res 2005;319(1):1-13.
(47) Burstyn-Cohen T, Stanleigh J, Sela-Donenfeld D, Kalcheim C. Canonical Wnt activity regulates trunk neural crest delamination linking BMP/noggin signaling with G1/S transition. Development (Cambridge) 2004;131(21):5327-5339.
(48) Yaniv K, Fainsod A, Kalcheim C, Yisraeli JK. The RNA-binding protein Vg1 RBP is required for cell migration during early neural development. Development (Cambridge) 2003;130(23):5649-5661.
(49) Ben-Yair R, Kahane N, Kalcheim C. Coherent development of dermomyotome and dermis from the entire mediolateral extent of the dorsal somite. Development (Cambridge) 2003;130(18):4325-4336.
(50) Burstyn-Cohen T, Kalcheim C. Association between the cell cycle and neural crest delamination through specific regulation of G1/S transition. Dev Cell 2002;3(3):383-395.
(51) Kahane N, Cinnamon Y, Kalcheim C. The roles of cell migration and myofiber intercalation in patterning formation of the postmitotic myotome. Development (Cambridge) 2002;129(11):2675-2687.
(52) Huber K, Combs S, Ernsberger UWE, Kalcheim C, Unsicker K. Generation of neuroendocrine chromaffin cells from sympathoadrenal progenitors: Beyond the glucocorticoid hypothesis. Ann New York Acad Sci 2002;971:554-559.
(53) Kalcheim C, Langley K, Unsicker K. From the neural crest to chromaffin cells: Introduction to a session on chromaffin cell development. Ann New York Acad Sci 2002;971:544-546.
(54) Kalcheim C. Klaus Unsicker: In celebration of his sixtieth birthday. Cell Tissue Res 2002;307(2):143.
(55) Sela-Donenfeld D, Kalcheim C. Localized BMP4-noggin interactions generate the dynamic patterning of noggin expression in somites. Dev Biol 2002;246(2):311-328.
(56) Herzog Y, Kalcheim C, Kahane N, Reshef R, Neufeld G. Differential expression of neuropilin-1 and neuropilin-2 in arteries and veins. Mech Dev 2001;109(1):115-119.
(57) Kahane N, Cinnamon Y, Bachelet I, Kalcheim C. The third wave of myotome colonization by mitotically competent progenitors: Regulating the balance between differentiation and proliferation during muscle development. Development (Cambridge) 2001;128(12):2187-2198.
(58) Cinnamon Y, Kahane N, Bachelet I, Kalcheim C. The sub-lip domain - A distinct pathway for myotome precursors that demonstrate rostral-caudal migration. Development (Cambridge) 2001;128(3):341-351.
(59) Sela-Donenfeld D, Kalcheim C. Inhibition of noggin expression in the dorsal neural tube by somitogenesis: A mechanism for coordinating the timing of neural crest emigration. Development (Cambridge) 2000;127(22):4845-4854.
(60) Kalcheim C. Mechanisms of early neural crest development: From cell specification to migration. Int Rev Cytol 2000;200:143-196.
(61) Sela-Donenfeld D, Kalcheim C. Regulation of the onset of neural crest migration by coordinated activity of BMP4 and Noggin in the dorsal neural tube. Development (Cambridge) 1999;126(21):4749-4762.
(62) Cinnamon Y, Kahane N, Kalcheim C. Characterization of the early development of specific hypaxial muscles from the ventrolateral myotome. Development (Cambridge) 1999;126(19):4305-4315.
(63) Schober A, Wolf N, Kahane N, Kalcheim C, Krieglstein K, Unsicker K. Expression of neurotrophin receptors trkB and trkC and their ligands in rat adrenal gland and the intermediolateral column of the spinal cord. Cell Tissue Res 1999;296(2):271-279.
(64) Kalcheim C, Cinnamon Y, Kahane N. Myotome formation: A multistage process. Cell Tissue Res 1999;296(1):161-173.
(65) Debby-Brafman A, Burstyn-Cohen T, Klar A, Kalcheim C. F-spondin, expressed in somite regions avoided by neural crest cells, mediates inhibition of distinct somite domains to neural crest migration. Neuron 1999;22(3):475-488.
(66) Kahane N, Cinnamon Y, Kalcheim C. The cellular mechanism by which the dermomyotome contributes to the second wave of myotome development. Development (Cambridge) 1998;125(21):4259-4271.
(67) Kahane N, Kalcheim C. Identification of early postmitotic cells in distinct embryonic sites and their possible roles in morphogenesis. Cell Tissue Res 1998;294(2):297-307.
(68) Schober A, Wolf N, Huber K, Hertel R, Krieglstein K, Minichiello L, et al. TrkB and neurotrophin-4 are important for development and maintenance of sympathetic preganglionic neurons innervating the adrenal medulla. J Neurosci 1998;18(18):7272-7284.
(69) Kahane N, Cinnamon Y, Kalcheim C. The origin and fate of pioneer myotomal cells in the avian embryo. Mech Dev 1998;74(1-2):59-73.
(70) Pruginin-Bluger M, Shelton DL, Kalcheim C. A paracrine effect for neuron-derived BNDF in development of dorsal root ganglia: Stimulation of Schwann cell myelin expression by glial cells. Mech Dev 1997;61(1-2):99-111.
(71) Kahane N, Shelton DL, Kalcheim C. Expression and regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3 mRNAs in distinct avian motoneuron subsets. J Neurobiol 1996;29(3):277-292.
(72) Kalcheim C. The role of neurotrophins in development of neural-crest cells that become sensory ganglia. Philos Trans R Soc B Biol Sci 1996;351(1338):375-381.
(73) Brill G, Kahane N, Carmeli C, Von Schack D, Barde Y-, Kalcheim C. Epithelial-mesenchymal conversion of dermatome progenitors requires neural tube-derived signals: Characterization of the role of Neurotrophin-3. Development 1995;121(8):2583-2594.
(74) Averbuch-Heller L, Pruginin M, Kahane N, Tsoulfas P, Parada L, Rosenthal A, et al. Neurotrophin 3 stimulates the differentiation of motoneurons from avian neural tube progenitor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1994;91(8):3247-3251.
(75) Kahane N, Kalcheim C. Expression of trkC receptor mRNA during development of the avian nervous system. J Neurobiol 1994;25(5):571-584.
(76) Pinco O, Carmeli C, Rosenthal A, Kalcheim C. Neurotrophin‐3 affects proliferation and differentiation of distinct neural crest cells and is present in the early neural tube of avian embryos. J Neurobiol 1993;24(12):1626-1641.
(77) Brill G, Vaisman N, Neufeld G, Kalcheim C. BHK-21-derived cell lines that produce basic fibroblast growth factor, but not parental BHK-21 cells, initiate neuronal differentiation of neural crest progenitors. Development 1992;115(4):1059-1069.
(78) Gvirtzman G, Goldstein RS, Kalcheim C. A positive correlation between permissiveness of mesoderm to neural crest migration and early DRG growth. J Neurobiol 1992;23(3):205-216.
(79) Kalcheim C, Carmeli C, Rosenthal A. Neurotrophin 3 is a mitogen for cultured neural crest cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1992;89(5):1661-1665.
(80) Goldstein RS, Kalcheim C. Determination of epithelial half-somites in skeletal morphogenesis. Development 1992;116(2):441-445.
(81) Kalcheim C, Goldstein RS. Segmentation of sensory and sympathetic ganglia: Interactions between neural crest and somite cells. J PHYSIOL 1991;85(3):110-116.
(82) Goldstein RS, Kalcheim C. Normal segmentation and size of the primary sympathetic ganglia depend upon the alternation of rostrocaudal properties of the somites. Development 1991;112(1):327-334.
(83) Goldstein RS, Teillet M-, Kalcheim C. The microenvironment created by grafting rostral half-somites is mitogenic for neural crest cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1990;87(12):4476-4480.
(84) Kalcheim C, Neufeld G. Expression of basic fibroblast growth factor in the nervous system of early avian embryos. Development 1990;109(1):203-215.
(85) Kalcheim C, Teillet M-. Consequences of somite manipulation on the pattern of dorsal root ganglion development. Development 1989;106(1):85-93.
(86) Kalcheim C. Basic fibroblast growth factor stimulates survival of nonneuronal cells developing from trunk neural crest. Dev Biol 1989;134(1):1-10.
(87) Kalcheim C, Gendreau M. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor stimulates survival and neuronal differentiation in cultured avian neural crest. Dev Brain Res 1988;41(1-2):79-86.
(88) Kalcheim C, Leviel V. Stimulation of collagen production in vitro by ascorbic acid released from explants of migrating avian neural crest. Cell Differ 1988;22(2):107-114.
(89) Kalcheim C, Barde YA, Thoenen H, Le Douarin NM. In vivo effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on the survival of developing dorsal root ganglion cells. EMBO J 1987;6(10):2871-2873.
(90) Teillet M-, Kalcheim C, Le Douarin NM. Formation of the dorsal root ganglia in the avian embryo: Segmental origin and migratory behavior of neural crest progenitor cells. Dev Biol 1987;120(2):329-347.
(91) Ziller C, Fauquet M, Kalcheim C, Smith J, Le Douarin NM. Cell lineages in peripheral nervous system ontogeny: Medium-induced modulation of neuronal phenotypic expression in neural crest cell cultures. Dev Biol 1987;120(1):101-111.
(92) VOGEL Z, DANIELS MP, CHEN T, XI Z‐, BACHAR E, BEN‐DAVID L, et al. Ascorbate‐Like Factor from Embryonic Brain: Role in Collagen Formation, Basement Membrane Deposition, and Acetylcholine Receptor Aggregation by Muscle Cells. Ann New York Acad Sci 1987;498(1):13-27.
(93) Kalcheim C, Le Douarin NM. Requirement of a neural tube signal for the differentiation of neural crest cells into dorsal root ganglia. Dev Biol 1986;116(2):451-466.
(94) Kalcheim C, Bachar E, Duksin D, Vogel Z. Ciliary ganglia and spinal cord explants release an ascorbate-like compound which stimulates proline hydroxylation and collagen formation in muscle cultures. Neurosci Lett 1985;58(2):219-224.
(95) KALCHEIM C, DUKSIN D, BACHAR E, VOGEL Z. Collagen‐stimulating factor from embryonic brain has ascorbate‐like activity and stimulates prolyl hydroxylation in cultured muscle cells. Eur J Biochem 1985;146(1):227-232.
(96) Duksin D, Kalcheim C, Vogel Z. Characterization and localization of collagens synthesized by cultured muscle cells stimulated with collagen-inducing factor from embryonic brain extracts. J Biol Chem 1983;258(23):14585-14591.
(97) Kalcheim C, Duksin D, Vogel Z. Involvement of collagen in the aggregation of acetylcholine receptors on cultured muscle cells. J Biol Chem 1982;257(21):12722-12727.
(98) Kalcheim C, Duksin D, Vogel Z. Aggregation of acetylcholine receptors in nerve-muscle cocultures is decreased by inhibitors of collagen production. Neurosci Lett 1982;31(3):265-270.
(99) Kalcheim C, Vogel Z, Duksin D. Embryonic brain extract induces collagen biosynthesis in cultured muscle cells: involvement in acetylcholine receptor aggregation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1982;79(10):3077-3081.
(100) Schwartz M, Vogel Z, Kalcheim C. Goldfish brain extract induces aggregation of acetylcholine receptors on cultured myotubes: Increased activity following optic nerve axotomy. Neurosci Lett 1981;27(2):165-170.
(101) Kalcheim C, Szechtman H, Koch Y. Bisexual behavior in male rats treated neonatally with antibodies to luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone. J Comp Physiol Psychol 1981;95(1):36-44.